Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Taking Over the House

I know I am fortunate to even have what I can call a studio space in my home. I am lucky that my domain is not the dining room table therefore requiring that I pick up and put everything away at the end of every session and store my paintings . . . where? Even so, I still feel cramped.



Each one of the three kids loves to come into the studio, ask questions and paint with me, and I love that too. . . But they are often right under my feet, literally, and I am often tense that they will bump into something wet or fragile which wouldn't be hard to do. My stress level goes through the roof if they all venture in there at the same time. 



I also don't have much wall space to work with since one wall is taken up by books and a few completed paintings, one by windows and one by Rosie. Hanging up drawings and other in-progress paintings to study becomes difficult if not impossible, so I have slowly and silently commandeered other available wall space. 


The tv room/laundry staging area now shares space with my study drawings. (This series includes a third image on the right/proper left that hasn't made it to the larger tracing paper yet) The slate paintings are replacing the full length mirror on the bedroom wall where I hung them at a comfortable height so that I can work on them in my bedroom - when my husband isn't sleeping - instead of hauling them up and down to the studio. 

I suppose the silver lining is that I get to look at something I'm making in at least three different rooms of the house as I go about the normal business of the day. If one or more details continually pop out at me every time I walk through the room and look at them, then I know what I need to fix the next time I go to work. It may even make my studio time a little more productive.  

The down side is that I don't always get to feel how the images interact with one another in one space. 








No comments:

Post a Comment