Thursday, March 22, 2012

This Old House


I think that my new series of oil pastels wouldn't have come to fruition if my husband, Eric, and I hadn't purchased a 2 1/2 acre parcel of land two years ago. It is nestled at the end of a long lane on the edge of town. There is a small house, built in 1900, on the front of the property. A family of four lived in it and owned the property for 100 years. It never had running water. At some point in the last two decades it was abandoned with all of its contents and left to the forces of nature. I realize that to many people it looks like a trash heap, but to me, it's a treasure trove.


The house is unsafe to enter, but you can see many of the
contents through the windows and holes in the walls. It is clear that the floor has completely collapsed. It looks like it is full of interesting things . . . And a lot of garbage as well. I can admit that. Last spring I recovered a plastic airplane mobile from the interior of the house. I enjoyed cleaning the decade worth of dust off of the surface and consequently restoring some of it's original splendor.

Airplane mobile BT AT2

Airplane mobile BT AT1


A year ago, I was lamenting the fact that being on a tight budget made it difficult to buy canvases to paint on. I remembered a moment from one of my high school art classes in which my teacher, the great Mr. Willig, was talking about how some artists used to paint on any surface they could find. The desire to paint overwhelmed the need for conventional materials.
IMG_0366
My mind immediately went to the old, dilapidated house and I remembered the rear wall was built with green steel siding, a decent surface for painting. I also thought the flaking paint on the wood siding could easily be consolidated with a little fish glue and would make a nice frame for a painting or two.

Two Sweet Peas by Kimberly Machovec-SmithIMG_0227

This is among the first oil pastels I made using only materials from this house. I actually use the reverse side of the siding for my pastel drawing. It is silver in color and it has less texture than the outer surface. This image is two sprouted sweet peas. I gave it to my friend and her new husband for a wedding present last spring. I loved the way the root of the rear pea embraces the body of the one in front of it, intertwining and growing together. I loved the theme of awakening and ofcourse fertility, the begining of a new generation and growth all wrapped into a wedding present.

6 comments:

  1. Kim, it was so enjoyable to read all of your blog! It reminds me of one of my favorite books that I dearly love, only now, your blog comes in as The BEST!! The photos are beautiful and interesting, and the artwork is beautiful! The colors in the artwork have a beautiful color and "shine" to them and I really like how "warm" the wood mounts/frames are! I also really like the blue backdrop to the delicate colorings of the seedlings; it looks so "sweet"! I have never seen the artwork above of the two sweet peas; it is beautiful and your lovely thoughts surrounding the piece make it a very special gift, indeed! Well done, Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad had that same exact airplane mobile hanging by his drawing table <3 wonderful photos and art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank your for your nice comment. After I finished cleaning the mobile I put it back together and it hangs by my workbench now. The airplanes must be inspirational!

      Delete
  3. Hi Kimberly,

    You did a fantastic job restoring the silver airplane mobile. I had the same mobile when I was a young child, and have been looking for it all over the place ever since running into another person who had it and has repeatedly refused to sell it to me. Would you be willing to make a small dream of mine come true and sell me the one you've so wonderfully restored?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Michael,
      I would consider it, sure. Why don't you e-mail me and we can talk about it.
      kimmelion@yahoo.com Put Airplane Mobile in the subject heading.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete