Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Trouble in the Garden

When I returned home from our last vacation I wasn't surprised to see that most of the plants were struggling. I had given the entire garden a good soaking before I left, but the heat and the pests took their toll.
All of my zucchini plants were dead, very dead. The thought of a garden without zucchini makes me sad, very sad. 

I have some lovely blossoms on my cucumbers, but so far none of them have actually become fruit.

There is a lot of new growth on the cucumber plants though, so I'm still holding out hope.

Most of the leaves on the green bean plants are curled up and many are a little crisp around the edges from heat and drought. (I still think the pattern on the leaves is beautiful though.)

My butternut squash plants are still putting out new growth too, but most of the sections of plants look wilted and the blossoms look droopy. 

Hopefully with a little TLC and some consistent watering I can bring some of it back, but I know I have to say good bye to the zucchini. I may try to plant some new seeds and if the fall is uncharacteristically warm, perhaps I will get a few fruits for zucchini bread or for a delicious sauteed side at dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment