Friday, February 28, 2014

Seed. Plant. Food. *Revised Artist Statement - Barnes and Noble Photography Show*


Seed. Plant. Food. I find a wealth of inspiration in my garden. It all has the potential to be something beautiful to the eye as well as to the stomach. 

From a distance my garden usually looks pretty wild and crazy. I get close up and study the plants. They are extraordinarily beautiful. The texture, the color, the form. I observe the stretching and unfurling of the cucumber leaves and the delicate beauty of the bean, tomato and squash blossoms. The way the sungold cherry tomatoes ripen down the line is musical. My garden is a feast for the senses.

Several techniques capture the elements that I find captivating in the gardening process.  I use oil pastels, oil paint and recycled materials to create the images of the seeds in the moment of awakening, a moment that is typically not witnessed. Photography is used to capture all of the activity in the garden once the seeds have broken through the surface. I use photography as a way to temper the liveliness of the healthy plants, that can often be overwhelming, and spotlight their elegance. 




No comments:

Post a Comment