Thursday, February 6, 2014

February Photos at Barnes and Noble

For the month of February I have the privilege of displaying some photos in the cafe at Barnes and Noble.


Since gardening is on my mind this month these are the photos I chose.


After Christmas all the color seems to fade away. Everything is a shade of brown and black with lots of white. I love the vibrant green of these leaves and the negative spaces they create within the photo.

I love this photo for the texture and the color. Yellow is one of my favorite colors. It makes me happy. I  like the spiny texture of the curly leaves above the blossom in contrast with the soft petals of the flower. 

Watching the sungold cheery tomatoes ripening is musical. It's the visual accompaniment to the ping of a xylophone. 

So delicate, so beautiful. 

I adore squash blossoms. They are like nature's fireworks, pointing for the sky as they grow and then exploding in gorgeous, deep yellow color. The different textures from beginning to end are amazing.


Mmmmmmm.

I love the way the light hits the hairs around the edges of these Holland White cucumber leaves and highlights the veins in the middle. During the summer months I walk out every morning to check on the progress of my garden and scout for any problems with pests, etc. Checking on the cucumbers is always the most exciting because they seem to grow so fast and change so much from day to day and sometimes from morning to night. 

Tomatoes are the fruit that I look forward to growing the most every year. They are so delicious fresh and we also go through jars and jars and jars every winter. There are so many blossoms on the tomato plants all season long that it is a little overwhelming to photograph sometimes - trying to find a new way to capture them is a challenge. From a short distance they all look the same, but each plant has slightly different blossoms. I liked this shot because of the echo of activity and extra colors just behind the subject. 

Something about looking at a newly sprouted seed makes me say, "ahhhhhhh". I can only imagine that as the sensation after being dry and curled up in a dormant state for so many months to finally emerge green, plump and searching for sunlight and nutrients. This is also a stage when is fun to check on the status of the plants. At this point they not only change from morning to night, but also from hour to hour.

My pear tree. Last summer was an exciting year for me and my Everbearing Collette pear tree. It was the first year since planting that it produced a significant amount of fruit. It was beautiful from first blossom to harvest. 


Unframed 8 x 10 prints can be purchased for $18 and the framed prints hanging in the cafe can be purchased for $30. Contact me at kimmelion@yahoo.com 

Sending warm, spring and summer like thoughts out into the cybersphere on this subzero February day! 









No comments:

Post a Comment