Monday, December 9, 2013

I Have Been Working

It's been months since I have been able to post a new painting, but I swear I have been working . . .

This summer was busy of course - entertaining and caring for the kids, working in my garden, preserving the harvest, carving out time for my husband. I did try to get in a little time for drawing though. I have started doing study drawings because I want to work a little larger and instead of diving right in to painting my subject right on the substrate that I usually spend a few hours preparing in itself, I wanted to do a drawing first to be sure I was happy with the composition in it's larger scale. The drawings are not complete, but I took them to a level where I felt I could make a decision as to whether I wanted to go forward with putting them on a larger substrate. So far I'm happy with the two sweet peas on the left, but not so much with the blue corn on the right.


I have also been working on two smaller oil pastels. One, on a small board, is almost complete. The other, a grain of bloody butcher corn on a slate roofing tile is close as well, but it is lacking that certain quality that makes it feel complete. It rests on my mantel where I can look at through out the day and ruminate. I love the way the kernel of corn looks on the slate, but the composition is just a little boring. It is meant to be portrait-like, but even so . . . it just isn't quite working for me. So I will continue to contemplate what can be done to make it more digestible for a while longer before posting. 


The third study drawing is now in the beginning of being transferred to a larger format. It took a while to plane all the wood and get it together, but I love it. I love working over the wood grain and seeing it peak through the pastels. I can't wait to see how it progresses.


No comments:

Post a Comment