Sunday, July 29, 2012

Observing Through My Camera

Christmas Lima Beans

With the necessary changes in how I spend my time during the summer months comes a change in focus for my art. My reduced painting time translates into more time in the garden observing the way my plants grow and change and observing the forms and colors. I don't claim to be a photographer, but I do think that looking at objects through a lens is a great way to sharpen your skill set. When working in nature you don't always have the ability to manipulate your subject and it forces you to work with what you've been given.  It requires a heightened awareness for composition, color and the interplay of objects. In the garden this can be challenging. You have to put yourself in the right position to capture the scene since you can't arrange the plants the way you want to, but you have to do it without damaging the plants around you.

Christmas Lima Bean

Cucumber
I love looking at new growth on plants in the cucurbitaceae family. They feel so energetic, twisting and turning and exploding into the world. To me it's the garden's fireworks display. 

Cucumber

Butternut Squash


Butternut Squash

Butternut Squash

Butternut Squash















No comments:

Post a Comment