Monday, April 30, 2018

Sprouting Green Bean 1

Sprouting Green Bean 1
Oil paint on barn wood
11 3/16 x 27 15/16 x 1 1/16"

 I finished this painting in September 2017. It is a closely cropped view of a sprouting green bean. The bean I sprouted was a Blue Lake variety of green beans. It's my favorite variety and its the seed packet that is most likely to be open on my gardening shelf when I'm looking for something to sprout. The flesh of the bean is actually much, much lighter, but the warm color of the barn wood was too beautiful to cover completely.  The way the seed coat of a green bean seed rips open when the bean is sprouting is a little more dramatic than seeds like corn, pumpkin or even lima beans. It usually rips from top to bottom, exposing much of the inner flesh while the root pushes through at the bottom.

Detail, Sprouting Green Bean 1

The wood came from my friend's acreage in Ohio. It's beautiful place and it was nice to think about her and her beautiful family every time I sat down to work on this painting. 

Detail, Sprouting Green Bean 1



No comments:

Post a Comment