Friday, July 18, 2014

Back in the Garden


It was a frustrating spring. The weather remained cool for a really long time, following an extremely harsh winter that froze the ground to new depths. When things finally did warm up it seemed like I was busy when the sun was shining and the soil was dry and free when it was raining or the soil was still newly wet. I didn't get much in and I almost missed the fresh greens window altogether. Luckily I managed to throw some seeds in and harvest a satisfying crop of spinach and a few heads of lettuce before it got too late. 

Sungold Cherry Tomatoes

When I was free I put a lot of effort into getting all of my tomatoes in the ground. I planted 15 tomato plants including at least 7 varieties. Shortly after I got my last plant in the ground we took off for our annual week in Minnesota. It was a refreshing week of saying "yes" to the kids as often as possible. We kayaked, fished, swam, played in the sand, rode bikes, went on an exciting tractor ride and watched fireworks explode almost directly above our heads. (I have never had such an amazing spot to watch fireworks from during such a spectacular show - well done Park Rapids!) When we returned our yard was overtaken by weeds, the grass was overgrown, etc. etc. etc. Now, in mid-July I finally found the time to venture into my garden with my camera. The first three shoots produced a disappointing series of photos, reminding me that photography must be practiced just like every other discipline and I am definitely out of practice. Despite the disappointing show on my computer, I still enjoyed myself. It is always fun to dive into an overgrown garden and see the beauty that lives within. 

First up - Tomato Plants, mostly the variety Tigerella this time.

Sungold Cherry Tomato Blossoms

Bulgarian Triumph Tomato Blossoms
(Oh how I love the texture)

Baby Tigerella Tomato

Baby Tigerella Tomatoes

Tigerella Tomatoes

Tigerella Tomato Plant










No comments:

Post a Comment