Monday, August 27, 2012

Trying to cultivate art from my garden

Sungold Cherry Tomato Blossom

I have been focused mostly on painting and drawing from my sprouted seeds for the last couple of years, but lately I have been exploring the idea of using some photographs in tandem with my paintings. I like the idea of the using the two different mediums to depict what is unseen in the garden - the sprouting seeds, and what is seen and consumed - the flowers and fruits. I like the potential of having the two different textures and the opportunity to bring different colors into the display.  

I didn't expect it to be easy, but it has been a struggle to get a good composition, good focus and good lighting. I am often lying on my stomach or trying to fold myself in half in the humid, summer heat to try and get the shot that I want, only to end up being significantly disappointed with a lack of sharp focus where I want it and the depth of field. I've been blaming it on my factory issue lens lately, but I'm not sure if that's appropriate or not. It'd be great to be able to get a new lens though. In the meantime, I will just keep experimenting and trying to better educate myself.

Here are a few shots that I like a lot, despite some of the camera issues that I am trying to work out. I like the above shot of the tomato blossom. I have tried so many times to capture the blossom in a way that shows the beauty of the flower itself, but also the promise of the fruit to come. It has been a challenge.

I love looking at squash blossoms in the garden from the time they first appear closed up tight on the stem through the time they open in an explosion of gold. 

I love looking at them from the sides when the sun shines in just right and lights them up like lanterns. I love the patterns of veins in the blossoms and the texture of all those tiny little hairs. Being so close to them brings up a lot of problems with focus and this is where a different lens would really come in handy. 




Butternut Squash Seed

I like the how seed painting really looks more cool and earthy compared to the saturated and shiny quality of the photograph of the squash blossom. 



No comments:

Post a Comment