Sunday, May 13, 2012

Sprouted Sweet Corn 2

Sprouted Sweet Corn 2
10 9/16 x 9 7/8 x 1 1/4"
Sold

This painting is oil pastel on gessoed steel siding. The back of the mount is made from a random board that I recovered from our property with the crumbling house on it. The frame is made from the painted wood siding on the house. 

To ensure that the aged, cracked yellow paint would stay on the wood through the mounting process and beyond I consolidated it with a dilute solution of fish glue. I love using conservation techniques on art that I am actually creating and consolidating flaking paint is among my favorite techniques that I learned as an objects conservator. It is so satisfying to take something that is fragile and cannot be moved around without fear of losing material and then stabilize it, making it worthy of use or display again. That also happens to be what I love about this series of paintings as well. It feels wonderful to take materials that would otherwise be disposed of and then make something that I really enjoy looking at. 





No comments:

Post a Comment